Created Saturday 22 November 2014 - Lab Home
In this lab we explore the data. We will take a simple approach of understanding the structures, relationships and apply simple statistical methods.
- Mean (Average) , Median(Middle one when in ascending order), Mode (most frequent), Variance, Percent
- Per Capita
- Sample Size and Margin of Error
- Standard Deviation
- Distributions (Normal, Uniform and Skewed)
- Regression Analysis
- Histograms (graphs of frequency) and box plots
Sample Exercise Questions
- Marks between two schools, compare and see which school is better
- Does better average means, school has better students?
Example Data Sets for Lab
Libre Office Calc
- Libre Office is available for Linux, Win and Mac
- Calc is an OPen Source spreadsheet application
- GNU PSPP is a program for statistical analysis of sampled data. It is a Free replacement for the proprietary program SPSS, and appears very similar to it with a few exceptions.
- R is a free software environment for statistical computing and graphics. It compiles and runs on a wide variety of UNIX platforms, Windows and MacOS.