Here are the list of Open Source Tools that I use both at Work and at Home. A big thanks to all the developers.
Table of Contents
- 1 OS
- 2 Python Packages
- 3 Editors
- 4 IDE
- 5 Browsers & Browser Add ons
- 6 Programming Related
- 7 Communication
- 8 Blogging related
- 9 Security
- 10 Web Frameworks
- 12 Eclipse Plugins
- 13 CMS or Website Building
- 14 Tools
- 15 Testing/Review tools
- 16 Audio, Video and Images
- 17 Web/App servers, other server side
- 18 Databases and related tools
- 19 GIS, Maps and GPS
- I use Linux. I use Ubuntu Linux on my PC and Laptop.
- On my EEEPC, I use CrunchBangLinux.
- Cygwin is a Linux-like environment for Windows. It consists of two parts: A DLL (cygwin1.dll) which acts as a Linux API emulation layer providing substantial Linux API functionality. A collection of tools which provide Linux look and feel.The Cygwin DLL currently works with all recent, commercially released x86 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows, with the exception of Windows CE.
- I use Python as my primary programming language. I have quite a few packages that I use on daily basis. I have listed all of them on a separate page.
- Textadept is a fast, minimalist, and remarkably extensible cross-platform text editor. Textadept’s user interface is sleek and simple. Relentlessly optimized for speed and minimalism over the years, the editor consists of less than 2000 lines of C code and less than 4000 lines of Lua code.
- SciTE is a SCIntilla based Text Editor. Originally built to demonstrate Scintilla, it has grown to be a generally useful editor with facilities for building and running programs. I use it for virtually editing anything. Its available for both Windows and Linux.
- Notepad++ is a free (as in “free speech” and also as in “free beer”) source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.Based on a powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size.
- Eclipse provides a universal toolset for development. Open Source IDE, mostly provided in Java, but the development language is independent and it is extend able using plugins.
- Google Page Speed Firefox plugin that can be used to identify ways to speed up your web pages.
- Yahoo Yslow analyzes web pages and suggests ways to improve their performance based on a set of rules for high performance web pages. YSlow is a Firefox add-on integrated with the Firebug web development tool. YSlow grades web page based on one of three predefined ruleset or a user-defined ruleset.
- Screengrab will capture what you can see in the window, the entire page, just a selection, a particular frame… basically it saves webpages as images – either to a file, or to the clipboard.
- S3Fox Organizer helps you organize/manage/store your files on Amazon S3. It is easy to install and use as it is integrated into the browser.
- The Web Developer extension adds a menu and a toolbar to the browser with various web developer tools. It is designed for Firefox, Flock and Seamonkey, and will run on any platform that these browsers support including Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
- DreamPie is a Python shell which is designed to be reliable and fun.
- Giggle is a graphical frontend for the git content tracker
- Meld is a visual diff and merge tool targeted at developers. Meld helps you compare files, directories, and version controlled projects. It provides two- and three-way comparison of both files and directories, and has support for many popular version control systems.
- Terminator, multiple terminals in one window.
- Glances is a cross-platform curses-based system monitoring tool written in Python. Its an open-source software to monitor and collect operating system statistics.
- FrontlineSMS is free open source software that turns a laptop and a mobile phone into a central communications hub. Once installed, the program enables users to send and receive text messages with large groups of people through mobile phones. What you communicate is up to you, making FrontlineSMS useful in many different ways.
- KeePassX is an application for people with extremly high demands on secure personal data management. KeePassX saves many different information e.g. user names, passwords, urls, attachments and comments in one single database.KeePassX offers a little utility for secure password generation. The password generator is very customizable, fast and easy to use. Especially someone who generates passwords frequently will appreciate this feature.
- Privoxy is a web proxy program, frequently used in combination with Tor and Squid. It has filtering capabilities for protecting privacy, modifying web page data, managing cookies, controlling access, and selectively removing content such as ads, banners and pop-ups. It can be customized and has application for both stand-alone systems and multi-user networks.
- Wireshark is a network packet analyzer. A network packet analyzer will try to capture network packets and tries to display that packet data as detailed as possible.You could think of a network packet analyzer as a measuring device used to examine what’s going on inside a network cable, just like a voltmeter is used by an electrician to examine what’s going on inside an electric cable (but at a higher level, of course).
- The Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) is a worldwide free and open community focused on improving the security of application software. Our mission is to make application security visible, so that people and organizations can make informed decisions about true application security risks.
CAL9000 is a collection of web application security testing tools that complement the feature set of current web proxies and automated scanners. CAL9000 gives you the flexibility and functionality you need for more effective manual testing efforts. Works best when used with Firefox or Internet Explorer. They have java and .net tools too.
- HTML Purifier is a standards-compliant HTML filter library written in PHP. HTML Purifier will not only remove all malicious code (better known as XSS) with a thoroughly audited, secure yet permissive whitelist,it will also make sure your documents are standards compliant, something only achievable with a comprehensive knowledge of W3C’s specifications.Tired of using BBCode due to the current landscape of deficient or insecure HTML filters? Have a WYSIWYG editor but never been able to use it? Looking for high-quality, standards-compliant, open-source components for that application you’re building? HTML Purifier is for you!
- SQLMap is an open source command-line automatic SQL injection tool. Its goal is to detect and take advantage of SQL injection vulnerabilities in web applications. Once it detects one or more SQL injections on the target host, the user can choose among a variety of options to perform an extensive back-end database management system fingerprint, retrieve DBMS session user and database, enumerate users, password hashes, privileges, databases, dump entire or user’s specified DBMS tables/columns, run his own SQL statement, read or write either text or binary files on the file system, execute arbitrary commands on the operating system, establish an out-of-band stateful connection between the attacker box and the database server via Metasploit payload stager, database stored procedure buffer overflow exploitation or SMB relay attack and more.
- SQLNinja is a tool targeted to exploit SQL Injection vulnerabilities on a web application that uses Microsoft SQL Server as its back-end. Its main goal is to provide a remote access on the vulnerable DB server, even in a very hostile environment. It should be used by penetration testers to help and automate the process of taking over a DB Server when a SQL Injection vulnerability has been discovered.
- JPicus: JPicus is a Java I/O analysis framework. It can help you analyze your Java application within the I/O domain and answer questions like How much I/O does my program use? How much time is spent in I/O? Which handles are currently open? etc. JPicus is Non intrusive – does not require changes in your code.
- WordPress is a state-of-the-art blog publishing platform with a focus on aesthetics, web standards, and usability. WordPress is both free and priceless at the same time.
- Drupal is an open source content management platform. Equipped with a powerful blend of features, Drupal supports a variety of websites ranging from personal weblogs to large community-driven websites.
- IdeaTorrent is what can be defined as an “open innovation software”: it lets people submit their ideas, brainstorm them, and vote on them. The most popular ideas and requests are then easily assessable.
That’s a very interesting mean for a project to have an insight on the demands of his user base!
- WinMerge is an Open Source differencing and merging tool for Windows. WinMerge can compare both folders and files, presenting differences in a visual text format that is easy to understand and handle. WinMerge is highly useful for determining what has changed between project versions, and then merging changes between versions. WinMerge can be used as an external differencing/merging tool or as a standalone application.
- 7-Zip is a file archiver with a high compression ratio. 7-Zip works in Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP/Vista. There is a port of the command line version to Linux/Unix. 7-Zip is open source software.
- OpenSTA is a distributed software testing architecture designed around CORBA, it was originally developed to be commercial software by CYRANO. The current toolset has the capability of performing scripted HTTP and HTTPS heavy load tests with performance measurements from Win32 platforms. However, the architectural design means it could be capable of much more.
- FindBugs is a program which uses static analysis to look for bugs in Java code. It is free software. t looks for instances of “bug patterns” — code instances that are likely to be errors.
- Apache JMeter application is open source software, a 100% pure Java application designed to load test functional behavior and measure performance. It was originally designed for testing Web Applications but has since expanded to other test functions.
- Audacity is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds. It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems.
- Pinta Pinta is a free, open source program for drawing and image editing.Its goal is to provide users with a simple yet powerful way to draw and manipulate images on Linux, Mac, Windows, and *BSD.
- Shutter is a feature-rich screenshot program for Linux based operating systems such as Ubuntu. You can take a screenshot of a specific area, window, your whole screen, or even of a website – apply different effects to it, draw on it to highlight points, and then upload to an image hosting site, all within one window. Shutter is free, open-source, and licensed under GPL v3.
- HAProxy is a free, very fast and reliable solution offering high availability, load balancing, and proxying for TCP and HTTP-based applications. It is particularly suited for web sites crawling under very high loads while needing persistence or Layer7 processing.
- Jetty is an embeddable httpserver written completely in Java. Jetty provides an HTTP server, HTTP client, and javax.servlet container. These components are open source and available for commercial use and distribution.
- lighttpd :- Security, speed, compliance, and flexibility — all of these describe lighttpd (pron. lighty) which is rapidly redefining efficiency of a webserver; as it is designed and optimized for high performance environments. With a small memory footprint compared to other web-servers, effective management of the cpu-load, and advanced feature set (FastCGI, SCGI, Auth, Output-Compression, URL-Rewriting and many more) lighttpd is the perfect solution for every server that is suffering load problems. And best of all it’s Open Source licensed under the revised BSD license.
- Gunicorn ‘Green Unicorn’ is a Python WSGI HTTP Server for UNIX. It’s a pre-fork worker model ported from Ruby’s Unicorn project. The Gunicorn server is broadly compatible with various web frameworks, simply implemented, light on server resources, and fairly speedy.
- SQLite is a software library that implements a self-contained, serverless, zero-configuration, transactional SQL database engine. SQLite is the most widely deployed SQL database engine in the world. The source code for SQLite is in the public domain. This is mostly used on desktops than servers.
- MySQL is a relational database management system (RDBMS) which has more than 6 million installations.MySQL stands for “My Structured Query Language”.he program runs as a server providing multi-user access to a number of databases.The project’s source code is available under terms of the GNU General Public License, as well as under a variety of proprietary agreements.
- Redis is an open source (BSD licensed), in-memory data structure store, used as database, cache and message broker. It supports data structures such as strings, hashes, lists, sets, sorted sets with range queries, bitmaps, hyperloglogs and geospatial indexes with radius queries. Redis has built-in replication, Lua scripting, LRU eviction, transactions and different levels of on-disk persistence, and provides high availability via Redis Sentinel and automatic partitioning with Redis Cluster.
- PostgreSQL is a powerful, open source object-relational database system. It has more than 15 years of active development and a proven architecture that has earned it a strong reputation for reliability, data integrity, and correctness.
- MongoDB is a cross-platform document-oriented database. Classified as a NoSQL database, MongoDB eschews the traditional table-based relational database structure in favor of JSON-like documents with dynamic schemas (MongoDB calls the format BSON), making the integration of data in certain types of applications easier and faster.
- Dbeaver Community – Free multi-platform database tool for developers, SQL programmers, database administrators and analysts. Supports any database which has JDBC driver (which basically means – ANY database). EE version also supports non-JDBC datasources (WMI, MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis).
- DB Browser for SQLite (DB4S) is a high quality, visual, open source tool to create, design, and edit database files compatible with SQLite.
- QGIS – A Free and Open Source Geographic Information System.Create, edit, visualise, analyse and publish geospatial information on Windows, Mac, Linux, BSD
- GpsPrune is a free, open source, cross-platform program to view and edit spatial data like GPS tracks. It shows tracks and waypoints overlaid on top of OSM maps and can convert between popular data formats, as well as being able to correlate photos with the GPS data.
- GPSBabel converts waypoints, tracks, and routes between popular GPS receivers such as Garmin or Magellan and mapping programs like Google Earth or Basecamp. Literally hundreds of GPS receivers and programs are supported. It also has powerful manipulation tools for such data. such as filtering duplicates points or simplifying tracks. It has been downloaded and used tens of millions of times since it was first created in 2001, so it’s stable and trusted.
- PostGIS is a spatial database extender for PostgreSQL object-relational database. It adds support for geographic objects allowing location queries to be run in SQL.
Browsers & Browser Add ons
is a cross-platform REST client, built on top of Electron.