How to read Kannada (Indic) on Android
Like I had written earlier you can’t read/write Kannada on an Android phone. I have given this feedback to Google and its also on the bug list. But I am not sure when will Google implement it. The biggest thing I missed is reading Kannada blogs. But then this tip helped me to get Kannada back on mobile.
1. Search for Opera Mini on Android market
2. Install it
3. Or use this QR code
4. Type about:config in url bar and then press go
5. Scroll down until you see the setting Use bitmap fonts for complex scripts
6. Change it to yes and save
7. Now try sampada.net and you should be able to read Kannada on Android
This setting will make the Opera Mini to render the page on server side and then deliver it. Hence even though your phone doesn’t have Unicode fonts or rendering capability, you can still read it.
I tried it on my Nexus One and it worked. It should work on most of the other Android mobiles.