Things you didnt know about Kannada Movies
- Mani Ratnam’s debut movie was in Kannada. Pallavi Anu Pallavi
- Anil Kapoor (debuted) was the hero of the Kannada movie Pallavi Anu Pallavi
- Juhi Chawala first major hit was Premaloka 1987. IMDB comment “You have seen QSQT, u have seen DDLJ, u have seen Maine Pyar Kiya, but if you have not seen Prema Loka, then u haven’t seen the movie that started the trend which was followed by the romantic movie makers all over India. Prema Loka has a very fresh and lively look to it and considering that it was shot in 1987, it was way ahead of its time. Ravichandran as the débutant director and actor is wonderful in the movie. Juhi Chawla, who went on to act in some of the blockbuster Hindi movies,is at her pretty and bubbly best. Ravichandran has taken every minute detail into consideration. This is probably the first movie in India which truly made a fashion statement. He also imported a Honda bike, for the movie.”
- Prithvi Raj Kapoor played role of Rajkumar’s father in the movie Sakshatkara -1971
- Girish Kasaravalli has to his distinction four Golden Lotus Awards max for any director.
- Raj Kumar won 9 state awards for acting but no national award. Surprisingly enough he won a national award for singing. I guess he is the only superstar who won national award for singing.
- The silent movie Pushpaka Vimana got released in 4 languages. Pesum Padam (India: Tamil title) Pushpaka Vimana (India: Kannada title) Pushpaka Vimanam (India: Malayalam title) The Love Chariot (India: English title). And it was shot in Bangalore.
- Famous DD serial Malgudi days was directed by Shankar Nag. He also directed “Swamy” later. He was the youngest director to direct Raj Kumar in Ondu Muthina Kathe.
- Sati Sulochana released in 1934 was the first Kannada talkie movie was shot mostly at Chatrapathi Studio in Kolhapur.
- Most famous conductor of kannada Cinema is Rajani and Most famous auto driver is Shankar Nag.
- Rajanikanth debuted in Katha Sangama directed by Puttana Kanagal in 1975
- Mungaru Male is the only movie to run more than one year in PVR cinemas
- Balu Mahendra noted Tamil director started his career as director with the movie Kokila which got him National Award. He went on to direct Sadma later.
- Kishan Shrikanth(Master Kishan) is the youngest person to direct a professional feature film. Movie: C/o Footpath
- Puneet Rajkumar won the National Award for best child artist in "bettada huvu"
- Arjun Sarja was one of the most celebrated child artist in Kannada film industry
- The longest running Kannada movie was Bangarada Manushya with Rajkumar as hero. It did two years in States in Majestic.
- The movie was directed by Siddalingaiah inspired many city lads to go back to villages and take farming.
- Ilayaraja started his career as an assistant to noted Kannada music director GK Venkatesh
- The first hero of Kannada cinema was Subbaiyanaidu.
- I guess Kannada film industry has/had more engineers as heros than other :) Sudeep. Ramesh, Sunil etc
- Bollywood singer Latha Mangeshkar's first Kannada song Bellane Belagayithu. is for the film 'Sangolli Rayanna'. Mohammad Rafi's Ninelli Nadave Dhoora. And Kishore Kumar's Aadu Aata Aadu.
- 'Samskara' is the first ever Kannada film to get the President's Gold Medal. The wave of new cinema started from then on. Girish Karnad made debut as an actor in this film.
- Atul Kulkarni of Rang De Basanti and Hey Ram started his film career through Bhoomigite directed by Kesari. The film won a National Award in a special category
Update: Added some more with reader contribution. Lets make it List of 101 Things you did not know about Kannada Movies. Put those interesting stuff in comments. I will add to the main article.
1) Zehreela Insaan starring Rishi Kapoor is a remake of Puttanna Kanagal’s Kannada movie ‘Naagarhaavu’
2) Atul Kulkarni of Rang De Basanti and Hey Ram started his film career through Bhoomigite directed by Kesari. The film won a National Award in a special category
for more http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/kannada/article/17972.html
Pushpaka vimana also got released in Telugu..so total 5 Languages
Sharavegada Saradara”, the first 70 mm Kannada film released in 1988, which became the launching pad for Kumara Bangarappa, actor turned politician and Son of Bangarappa, Ex CM of Karnataka.
Amarshilpi Jakanachari which released in 1964 is the first color movie in the Kannada language.
Kishan Shrikanth(Master Kishan) is the youngest person to direct a professional feature film. Movie: C/o Footpath
fagunbhavsar @thej And Baloo Mahendra – another iconic Tamil director – his first film was Kannada
fagunbhavsar @thej Thejesh, Ilaiyaraja has started his career as an Assistant to the most Famous – GK Venkatesh
Thanks Fagun. I have added the same to main list.
Thats a big list…
* Atul Kulkarni is a kannadiga..
* Sholay was shot in Ramanagara
Ghatashraddha is the only Indian film at the Film Archive of Paris, selected for the Cinema hundredth anniversary celebrations, amongst one of the best 100 in the world. The movie was directed by Girish Kasaravalli
Pushpaka Vimana is directed by famous telgu directed Singeetham srenivas.
Ilayaraja started his career as an assistant to noted music director GK Venkatesh. it is correct but GKV is not only kannada music director. he done so meny films in other languages & he is from Adhra
@Ram I know GKV is from Andhra..but he settled down here and did most of his work here.
For me Rajani is a tamilian.
puneeth rajkumar is also an engineer.
Great collection of facts, Thej..! Yeah, kannada film industry is great, but the real tragedy is that there was/is no encouragement to local talent especially in the field of singing. There are talented kannadiga singers out there, who are waiting for opportunities, and they go chasing Sonu and Shreya to Mumbai. Same thing is happening from the very beginning, remember Balu and Janaki..!? This we don’t get see often in film industries of other languages..! Also, these days, the success of a movie is measured based on how much money the movie made, not for how many days it ran like they used to earlier, have you noticed lately..!!?
Very correct. Always an encouragement ha to be given to local abundant talent!!
Anil Kapoor’s debut movie was in Kannada
Pallavi Anu Pallavi
“Singapoorinalli Raja kulla” is the first south Indian film shot n abroad.
* Kannada movie ‘Shanthi’ was included in Guiness book of World Records for having only one character in whole movie played by Bhavana.
*First ever indian movie to get dubbed to other language is kannada movie “Harishchandra”
In fact dubbing was 1st introduced by Kannada director R.Nagendra Rao
Soundharya is 5 languages Actor
Dr.Shivaraj Kumar starer om (1995), the best underworld based film, after that only peoples started this kind of movies.
naseruddin shan played as a priest in Tabbali neenade magane.
Kannada industry directly competes with other languages in Karnataka,nowhere happens in india