I use maps (gis) for tagging blog posts, adding pictures to posts, mapping my walks or runs, for writing travelogues and general map related experimentation.
For a while I have been searching for maps utility to use it on my blog. For a long time its been embedding either Google Maps or Open Street Maps. They are great, specially now that you can embed the highly customizable maps using Google Map Engline or GeoJson.IO or ESRI maps.
But I wanted much more native utility and I also wanted to own my data. And hence my requirement kind of boiled down to a good wordpress plugin. A plugin that stores the data on my servers, supports multiple maps, is flexible, is mobile friendly and highly customizable.
Some of my favorite features are
- Can import GPX and shows the stats like speed etc, specially useful for running tracks
- Supports Open Street Maps
- Has driving direction built in
- Can export as GeoJSON, KML etc
- GIS update API (Lets say you want to update a map with your present status)
- Full screen mode
Example usage of plugin: