- Life was great. I am married now. Its much better now :)
- Working with Mavrix has been very fruitful, We released mobile apps this year and also I am very proud of our Hindi version
- I got to attend TTC InfoActivismCamp. Met a lot of inspiring people. I need to complete that blog post. I will, may be a bunch of them
- ODC BLR 2013 was great
- I got to attend Transparency Camp in USA. Camp inspired me to start AskYourGovt.in. I have long list of features for it and a sister site ready to launch.
- Read 17 books this year.
- Crowd Funded some interesting projects. (Lucia, CastAR, Aaron Swartz Documentary,Trsst, Radar CitizenReporting, CitizenMatters) and was able to support Green Peace, Democracy Now and some others on Flattr
- OpenBangalore.org launched. The site where I personally collect data related to Bangalore and share under open data licenses
- OpenPostboxIndia is my happy postbox project. We have 140+ boxes geotagged as of now. Data is available on GitHub as JSONs. You can contribute too.
- My DNA is open
- I have been blogging for a decade now
- My First 10k Run. Felt good even though I was slow.
- My First Kumbha Mela. I want to be there every time from now on.
- Great family vacation to Singapore and Malaysia. First time outside the country for my parents.
- Translated open source mobile apps and browser extension to Kannada. TextSecure, RedPhone, CryptoCat
Bus stops are very important considering every trip starts and ends at one of them. There are many qualities of bus stop that would affect the quality of commute. One of them is coverage area of the bus stop. The public transit/commute usage directly depends on how near or far the bus stop is. Of course quality of internal roads, footpath and other things matter too. But distance is very important. Lets say if the bus stop is just 100mtrs then I wouldn’t mind walking on a bad footpath to reach the stop v/s if its 1km away.
Below I have tried to explore this factor with the available geo-locations of 900+ bus stops in Bangalore. I started with 300mtrs as the coverage range. As you can see in the heatmap of bus stops. There are huge empty pockets. Most areas don’t have bus stops in their immediate vicinity.
At 1 KM, it looks like most of the Bangalore is covered. But there are still huge pockets on the highways, outskirts of the city, army areas etc. And there are some areas which are not covered at all for some unknown reason.
But 1KM is too much of walk for anybody walk. I would be ready to walk at the most 500 meters to catch a bus. So I decided to re-look at it.
Lets look at 500 meters again
One more level there are more empty pockets where buses dont reach.
Even if I am ready to walk half a kilometer, I may not find a bus stop in certain parts of Bangalore. So don’t complain if some one doesn’t catch public bus. Good chance is that there are no bus stops nearby.
We crossed 100+ postboxes this month. As promised I am releasing the data in an open format that can be used by anybody. I am planning to update data for every 25 new addition of postboxes. Data is available in the form of GeoJSON which I thought is the most user/developer friendly format. Also GitHub visualizes it by default beautifully.
ಬೆಚ್ಚನೆ ಮನೆ ಇರಲು
ಸ್ವರ್ಗಕ್ಕೆ ಕಿಚ್ಚು ಹಚ್ಚೆಂದ
Warm house to live in
Enough money to spend
Wife who understands your wishes
If you have the above, then you have all the things required to set heaven on fire
– The guy who knows everything
I am trying to set heaven on fire, wish me luck :)
At Last I watched Lucia. I give it 7/10 internationally. I didn’t suggest before watching even though I was part of the crowd which invested in it very early. But I watched it at last. Its good and a must watch Kannada movie. Go ahead and watch it. Go to the theater if possible if not then watch it (With English subtitles) online using the widget below.
Note: Of course if you watch the movie using the above widget I get paid. You can share the link with your friends http://muvi.es/w3254/16245